Monday, June 25, 2012

Learning New Songs

I only did much voice lessons for a year.  I was told not to take them anymore because, though accurate they mentioned, I was too shy or unexpressive.  That confuses me.  I honestly heard the voice professors sing, and they weren't like extra excited.  I was very bewildered, but they were beyond bubbly though not silly as people.  The kids just seemed like they were copying opera stars, like they hadn't really sung much.  One went to a choir school maybe at 10 years old, 5th grade.  Like, it seemed like maybe when you copy an accent but don't get into it completely.  They sounded good and probably improved as time went along.  I guess people could also be stark.  Overall, it seemed like I was the best.  Maybe I had the most multidimensional voice, at the time.

I figured there were 1 or 2 reasons I never took voice.  I told my parents I wanted to sing in kindergarten, but we didn't do anything.  By the time I was 7 ... I told my mom "I want to sing somehow."  So, when I was 5, I was awake to singing.  I was allowed in choir at 8, 3rd grade.  I moved for 7th grade, and there was no choir, but I was allowed to join the adult choir at church when I asked starting high school.  I was the youngest one and was in it all of high school and quit for college and moving during a hurricane.  I was probably gonna move, anyway ... my brother and mom were gonna stay so we didn't miss relationships and activities ... my dad had to get a new job somewhere else.  I didn't do choir when I came home from college to stay, at least for awhile, because I was soo tired for a long time, to this day.  I don't know why I haven't caught up on sleep loss of 10 years.  I had a hard time at first and didn't think to post on online message boards when I had nothing to do.  We did get a keyboard and I kept forgetting about karaoke.  I knew a lot of songs from musicals and a few folk songs.

I think I will do the songs I already know, re-look up the Italian after I do the English ones.  I suppose the English ones would help, anyway, since I don't speak Italian.  I am interested in learning another|other language|s.  So, the voice teacher in college said to like pick a language and that she still couldn't get hers, German, though she was in Germany for 20 years.  That really confuses me because I thought I got it the first day.  We only did much Italian, though, because Italian was the class they offered the 2nd semester, the 1st being a general get to know you kind of class... which was fun, but I always felt guilty because why would I be there as a music education major?  I don't know about secondary instruments, but I took piano and organ, as well as voice.  I auditioned for piano and organ, and I was allowed to major in either and, perhaps, if I had time to prepare, I would get in voice, judging from the other kids.  I've gained a stronger voice from being allowed to sing in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, post away ~*~